There is a new study out by the Center for American Progress that identifies what most are able to note for themselves – talk radio in America is overwhelmingly conservative. The think-tank’s analysis reveals that in the top five commercial news/talk stations 91% of the weekday broadcast is conservative in leaning, leaving 9% described as "progressive." While this imbalance is generally attributed to the poor rating performances of "progressive" radio, the new report disagrees and instead argues that the dominance of conservative radio arises from "multiple structural problems in the U.S. regulatory system, particularly the complete breakdown of the public trustee concept of broadcasting, the elimination of clear public interest requirements for broadcasting, and the relaxation of ownership rules … " The report also encourages changes that would "diversify radio station ownership to better meet local and community needs." Conservative observers see the Center’s report, a body headed by former White House Chief of Staff under Bill Clinton John Podesta, as a thinly veiled attempt to reassert a liberal control over the flow of information.
Similarly tagged OmniNerd content: