I learned a few things when my 2003 Honda Civic hybrid car battery went dead last week (beyond the obvious "don’t leave your headlights on overnight"):
- A hybrid (well, this one at least) has a regular car battery in addition to the motor assist batteries.
- This battery can be jumped just like all the others.
- The most annoying thing about the battery dying isn’t bringing it back to life. Rather, it is needlessly driving to the nearest Honda dealership to get the code to unlock the stereo.
I realize this same information might be in the user manual, but for those of you (like me) who don’t have immediate access to one, here’s how to save yourself the trip to the dealer:
- Turn the car on (or at least power on the stereo).
- Hold down station preset buttons 1 and 6 simultaneously.
- Record the stereo serial number that will display.
- Call your dealership and provide serial number to obtain code.
- Enter code via station preset buttons after powering on the stereo.