I’ve (almost) filled up my iMac hard drive. I’ve been eyeing the Apple Time Capsule for a while now. It looks great, would upgrade my home network, and would work “seamlessly” with Time Machine. It would also nicely accommodate the addition of a MacBook to our family, but at $500 I can’t help wondering if my money would be better used elsewhere.
Getting the 500 GB model provides some easy cost relief, but will that be enough room to last over the long haul? I have over 100 GBs of music (and growing), we take a large number of photos / short videos, and we are avid iWeb users. In the future we might even start using GarageBand or iMovie more. All of that adds up to a quickly expanding family media library, and I don’t want to find myself in the same situation a couple of years down the road.
So, what’s your best solution? Here are the criteria:
- wireless backup with Time Machine
- enough hard drive space to last five years
- home network of iMac, MacBook and Canon wireless printer – plus anyone that visits (or parks in my driveway)
- under $500
Similarly tagged OmniNerd content:
- Create an iCal To-Do Item from Address Book with AppleScript, by Brandon about 3 years ago
- Fixing Time Capsule Read Only Error, by Brandon almost 4 years ago
- Hard Drive Repair for Time Capsule With Internal Drive Error, by Brandon about 4 years ago
- Data Recovery Plan for Time Capsule With Internal Drive Error, by Brandon about 4 years ago